Short Story Retreat from Retreat West
17th-21st June 2016, West Bay, Bridport
£625 all inclusive
This 4-night writing retreat will help you to write better short stories with the help of two masterclasses with Paul McVeigh – founder of the London Short Story Festival and author of The Good Son novel whose short stories have been published in anthologies and literary journals. His BBC commissioned short story, ‘Tickles’, aired on Radio 4 in 2014.
Taking place in this gorgeous thatched cottage right on Chesil Beach, the retreat starts on Friday and we leave on Tuesday. During that time there will be two three hour masterclasses with Paul McVeigh, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, on how to write great short stories.
On the Monday there will be a three hour workshop with me, Amanda Saint, where we will have a feedback session on a short story you send in before the retreat and also use exercises and prompts to create a new one. My short stories have been longlisted in the Fish Flash Fiction Prize and the Ink Tears Short Story Competition, won the 101 Words Editor’s Choice Competition, and been published in various literary journals and anthologies.
What’s included in the cost for the retreat?
- Two 3-hour author-led workshops with Paul McVeigh on how to write short stories
- One 3-hour author-led workshop with Amanda Saint looking at a short story you send in beforehand (up to 2,500 words) and creating a new one
- 4 nights in your own room
- All food and drink – three delicious home cooked meals a day, dessert after dinner every night, fruit, wine, unlimited coffee and a selection of teas.
Travel is not included in the cost and the nearest mainline train station is Dorchester South. There is a local bus service from there direct to West Bay or it is a 25-minute taxi ride. If you’re driving there is parking at the cottage.
- £100 non-refundable deposit due on booking
- Balance due by 5th May 2016 2016
- If you cancel after 5th May 2016 a refund (minus your deposit) will be given only if I can re-sell the space
- Cancellations at any time before that will be refunded in full minus the deposit
- In the unlikely event that retreat is cancelled you will get a full refund of all monies paid
Email to book a space.