The Good Son was chosen as The Irish Times Book Club choice. In honour of this, The Irish Times recorded a podcast with me and their Literary Editor, Martin Doyle. They also published as series of essays on The Good Son. I’ve collected them for you here.
The Irish Times Podcast with Paul McVeigh and Martin Doyle
1. Lisa McInerney: How dark humour makes a fun and disquieting read in ‘The Good Son’
2. Booker-shortlisted author Alison Moore explores the join between fact and fiction in Paul McVeigh’s ‘The Good Son’
3. Danielle McLaughlin, winner of The Sunday Times/Audible Short Story Award, examines how Paul McVeigh developed his short story, What I Did On My Summer Holidays, into ‘a captivating and poignant book’.
4. Laura van den Berg on ‘The Good Son’ and child narrators’ great potential
5. Look out America, here comes Mickey Donnelly: By placing character and struggle at its heart, ‘The Good Son’ more than earns its stripes as a crime story. And it’s action-packed, says award-winning crime writer Sarah Hilary
6. “‘The Good Son’ isn’t just a portrait of the outsider as a young Irishman. It’s also a testament to the strength of character required by gay children simply to survive” – Paul Burtson
The Good Son – buy here
Winner of The Polari Prize & The McCrea Literary Award
“I devoured it in a day, but I’ve thought about it for many, many more. ”
Bailey’s Prize-winner Lisa McInerney
“A triumph of storytelling. An absolute gem.”
“A work of genius from a splendid writer.’
Pulitzer Prize-winner Robert Olen Butler